Market and Kemira overview
Kemira provides expertise and tailored combinations of chemicals for water intensive industries. Kemira’s relevant market (EUR ~20 billion in 2017) will grow to EUR 23 billion in 2022 (CAGR 3%).
Pulp & Paper
Kemira’s Pulp & Paper segment has unique expertise in applying chemicals and supporting pulp & paper producers to innovate and constantly improve their operational efficiency.
Pulp & Paper market is expected to grow at 1% CAGR*
Relevant target market EUR 9 billion – market data updated in September 2017.
- Increased use of recycled fibers
- Hardwood replacing softwood in virgin pulp
- Lightweighting of packaging and board grades
- Higher filler loads in graphic papers
- New digital printing methods
- Lower water and energy consumption
Efficient utilization of water at the core of pulp and paper manufacturing.
Energy consumption, product quality, process runnability
and customers’ profitability depend on water efficiency.
- e.g. BASF, AkzoNobel, Solenis, Ecolab, SNF
Industry & Water
Industry & Water supports municipalities and water intensive industries in the efficient and sustainable utilization of resources. In water treatment, we help in optimizing every stage of the water cycle. In oil and gas applications, our chemistries enable improved yield from existing reserves and reduced water and energy use.
Industry & Water market expected to grow at 4% CAGR*
Relevant target market EUR 11 billion
- Increasing environmental pressure which increases demand for waste water treatment
- Water reuse is most cost efficient solution to meet the increasing water demand
- Scarcity of resources accelerates need to produce more with less
- Focus on environmental regulations (waste water and reuse).
- Increased total process efficiency requirements for water intensive processes.
- Applications reducing costs, minimizing water consumption and increasing yield.
- Polymers: e.g. SNF, Solvay, Ecolab, Solenis, BASF
- Coagulants: mainly small local companies e.g.; Feralco, Usalco
The first choice in chemistry for water-intensive industries
Kemira is truly global – sales in more than 100 countries
Innovating together with our customers’ to improve water, energy and raw material efficiency. Research and Development expenses totaled EUR 30.3 million in 2017.
Innovation revenue was 10% of total revenue in 2017.
Achievements in 2017:
- New product launches: 11
- New priority patent filings: 52
by product line